Saturday, March 14, 2015

How to Make a Banner


Hey guys! I've gotten many requests on how I actually made the banner for  my DIY Wall Art video so I thought I'd make a separate tutorial dedicated to that.

Materials:

Paper
Tape
Printer
Design Software
Paper Cutter

Instructions:

You can create your own or download the Home Is Where the Heart Is PDF.

I used Adobe InDesign to create my banner. I'm not sure how to do it in Microsoft word so you may have to do some goggling on your part. 

1) Open up Adobe InDesign and create a new document. The wood in the Wall Art video was 11" x 24"



2) Using the rectangle frame tool, add 6 boxes



3) With the Text tool type in "Home" in the top left box, "Is" in the box below, "Where The" in the box on the bottom left, and "Is" in the bottom right box. 2 boxes should be left blank




4) I changed the "is" and "where the" to "Trajan Pro" and resized to 175pt.



5) I changed "Home" to Poem Script Pro and resized to 300pt. I then resized, tilted 12-degrees, and readjusted as needed.



6)  I repositioned the "is" and copy/pasted the "Home" by pressing and holding the alt/option key and drag to the corner. Replace the "home" with a design of your choice.

FINAL PHOTO

7) Print the document. In the setup tab, be sure to click on tile, choose landscape, change the paper to "US Letter" and change the overlap setting to 0.5". Click Print.


8) After you have printed the document, cut the paper along the guide (see below). Do this for all sheets

 


9) Assemble by lining up the paper and taping together! It's that simple :) 




Tip: I recommend starting with the top portion of the banner. Once you've finished the top portion, start with the bottom center so you have an accurate idea of where the outer sections will fall into place.

Tape the papers together and you're all done.

If you've recreated the DIY Wall Art, I'd love to see your work!! :) Follow me on instagram @DesignsByKell and hashtag #DIYwithKell so I can see your work :)

Pin Me :)


                     

1 comment: